goffshots.blogspot.com

Google

12.05.2005

Going Low




I love diggin' on Duval. I realize he held the top spot in the world golf rankings for 15 weeks in the late 90’s. I think it would be good for golf if Duval regains his form, but it appears golf is not as important to David if you listen to his interviews since things started heading south. He made enough money back then and I don’t think he will climb that mountain again. Good play could spark the first purchase in the last five years, of his golf instruction classic, “Going Low.” It would be interesting to know if anyone has picked that book up this decade.




Wie’s performance in 2005 LPGA events was impressive. No doubt she can compete at that level. I just think the crossover “circus show” is a little silly. I, like everyone, enjoy seeing Wie show up at little PGA Tour Events and try to make the cut. The lowly John Deere obviously benefits from giving Wie a sponsor’s exemption. I just think she has the opportunity to be a hero out there for women’s golf and not just a novelty for ratings and revenue for down weeks on the PGA Tour. Despite all my rhetoric, I respect Wie’s talents on the course. I just question where she plants her tees in the ground. Maybe she will settle on playing solely at the PGA’s Sony Open each year and then focus on being the world’s top female golfer. Annika (10 wins in 20 starts in 2005) needs some competition.

One final note, I think you over estimate the power of endorsements in golf anyway. People play what has "buzz", not what Tiger plays. If Tiger moved the marketing needle so well, Nike wouldn't have to go out and sign the mob of PGA players it ponied up cash for in '04 (Leonard, Choi, etc.) When was the last time you saw Nike Drivers at anything but a clearance rack. Who does Odyssey pay to endorse the 2 ball putter? It seems to have been fairly successful. (editor's note: I personally have never used a 2 ball putter)

1 Comments:

  • PS: How about UK Grad and Campbellsville native, John Holmes, winning Q-School today. There is something to cheer about! I want to mention that I will try to change the topic from Duval and Wie on future posts, just had to get that Book Cover in there somehow.

    By Blogger bullmizer, at 7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home